Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
There’s not much to really say about this one that hasn’t already been said. So, I’ll go ahead and just throw out some of my favorite parts from this timeless classic!
- When you enter the castle at the beginning and “Simon’s Theme” comes in. Hell yeah.
- The soundtrack in general. I especially love the updates of the tracks from the NES trilogy in the last couple of parts of the game, like “Vampire Killer” and “Bloody Tears”. Also, the ending track that plays during the credits hits me with a tidal wave of nostalgia every time.
- All of the boss fights are great, but my personal favorites are the final three that come one right after another. Slogra, Gaibon, and Death; All of them are just challenging enough that they don’t devolve into controller-breaking frustration.
- Stage 4. The whole thing. It features some of the best level design of any 16-bit game back in the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAkSpq0FZJE
- BEING ABLE TO WHIP IN EIGHT DIRECTIONS. WHAT HAPPENED THERE DRACULA X? (Side note: I still love Dracula X/Rondo of Blood)
I think that about covers it. The entire game is perfect to me. It’s aged incredibly well and still stands as one of the very best Super Nintendo games of all time. It’s the reason why I’m such a big fan of series to this day!